Friday, April 22, 2011

a few days

Holy Thursday dawned bright & sunny.. a gorgeous autumn day.

Joe and I went for an early morning walk so that I could investigate what weeds were available to forage.

the lovely thing about living in a small community is that sometimes you come across things like this:

a bag of surplus Ruby grapefruit.. left there to share with passers by

After lunch, I had planned to catch the train to Katoomba by myself to purchase my organic nuts, seeds & lentils. I arrived just on lunch time and took myself off to lunch at a favourite 'The Hattery'.. ordered a pumpkin & lentil burger without the burger thankyou very much. and a spicy chai latte.

visited Zuri - an eco friendly shop and bought a small box of fairtrade easter eggs to have on Sunday after lunch. Plus a lovely ball of handmade lavender and chamomile soap.. then lastly a big bag of fresh walnuts in the shell [last year I went walnut gathering but this year the local walnuts are scarce due to far too much rain. my purchased walnuts come from Tasmania.. not perfect for Slow Food but better than coming from California and being irradiated as they come into our country]

(I have been pondering lately, the safety of irradiated food coming from overseas - organic nuts, seeds and dried fruit from all over the world, subjected to gamma rays during quarantine.. are they still organic? are they safe to eat?)

then back on the train heading home to Villa Maria..

THEN to the local supermarket shopping for organic chicken and lamb for the weekend. [have no idea why so many shoppers think that they will starve to death over the Easter break and load their trolleys to the top with food..]

The Lords Supper Mass at night.. Joe and I walked up to St. Thomas's. [as I sat during Mass, reflecting on my journey, listening to the readings, I realized that this is part of my own folklore].. those stories can all be mine.. I just have to find a way to relate them to what is happening in my own life.. .. afterwards, we walked home in the moon light.. then I returned to the church, to sit in the Garden and did some centering prayer..

[Easter time is very close to my heart as 19yrs ago, I was confirmed into the Catholic church.. I love the tradition of the incense, chanting and candles.]

Good Friday..dawned to a perfect Good Friday if there can be one.. sunny but with clouds slowly moving across the sky as I went to greet the day and do my morning blessings.. a real stillness.

the planned chicken soup gets under way with the chopping of organic carrots, celery, onion & garlic. parsley picked from my garden and a bay leaf plucked from my tree.. all thrown into the pot along with the chicken to simmer gently for a few hours..

this will be lunch tomorrow and then for a few days on.. adding bits just as my grandma did.
and then 10am..another walk to the Church for me.. to attend Stations of the Cross..
lunch was a frittata made from my own eggs, a few leaves of Kale, parsley & tomatoes..
a few hours in the garden planting mustard greens, radicchio, leeks, parsley and coriander..

and a start to making my own gem essence for my liver, throat chakra and heart.

another walk back to church at 3pm - the Passion of Christ..
dinner Salmon & Puy lentil patties, a glass of red with a dash of water and settling down to watch James Herriot - All Creatures Great and Small. a small glass of parsley-honey wine with a small piece of dark organic chocolate..

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a perfect day !!!
I love James Herriot too and have just bought the first three seasons on DVD. Great to watch ; )
Have a good Easter.

mxtodis123 said...

Look at those autumn leaves. Gorgeous!!! Autumn is my second favorite season of the year. That soup does sound good. Isn't it nice to use veggies from your own garden? I miss that.
Mary

Debra She Who Seeks said...

The gentle rhythm of nature, spirituality and wholesome food -- lovely! Easter blessings to you!

C said...

Have a great easter weekend x x x

Janet said...

Reading this post was like having a cool drink of water on a hot day. It just quenches my thirst for simplicity. I love how you write about everyday things and make them special.

Anonymous said...

That all sounds perfect Robyn. :-)
C
xx

Ruth said...

It all sounds very peaceful - I would like to share your day.

Searching For My Willoughby said...

I'm taking my three girls to the Easter Vigil Mass tonight; it's my favorite of the entire year. I do understand trying to relate those stories to your own life - I'm trying to find a way to make them mine.

Oh, and we love, love, love James Herriot. Every winter we re-watch the entire series. They are great.

gma said...

I wish you a Happy Easter full of grace.
xx

J C said...

As always, I leave here feeling peaceful and serene, and a bit envious, from enjoying your day with you. xoxo

rebecca said...

dear one,
come. let's turn, turn towards the light.
radiant light of resurrection.
blessed rebirth and renewal dear friend.
xoxoxooxox,
rebecca

amelia said...

I want your life and I want to live where you live. With some snow of course!
I so wish we could have a garden but it's just not to be, way too much shade and rock. No soil.

"She seemed to come suddenly upon happiness as if she had surprised a butterfly in the Winter woods"
(edith wharton)